2018 Jeep Wrangler Caught on Video - 2019+ Jeep Gladiator Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

2018 Jeep Wrangler Caught on Video

Quote:
Plenty of photos are already floating around showing the upcoming Wrangler JL, but now we have a video showing it driving the streets of Michigan.

Besides watching the suspension eat up some of the broken Michigan pavement, the video provides a good sense of the proportions of the new Wrangler along with a clear look at the Jeepís face, which appears to include new signature LED lighting.

Sadly the sound isnít clear enough to make out what is under the hood, although there are plenty of details out already on the engines that will be offered in the new Wrangler. A turbocharged four-cylinder engine will likely serve as the base option, while a 3.6-liter V6 will solider on as the largest gas engine. A diesel is also expected to show up in the new Wrangler, although FCA is currently wrapped up on allegations of diesel emissions cheating, the result of which will decide the fate of the 3.0-liter diesel engine.

A mild-hybrid version of the Wrangler is also supposed to be available from launch, while a full hybrid powertrain should be available by 2022. An eight-speed automatic will probably be hooked up to most of the engine options, while spy photos have already shown that a six-speed manual will also be an option.

On the inside, the layout will stay mostly the same, with a few small changes bringing a cleaner look to the center stack. A set of up-fitter switches is expected to be offered from the factory, a welcome addition to the Wrangler.

Look for the all-new Jeep Wranger to debut sometime before the end of 2017.
Read more about the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Caught on Video at Off-Road.com.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:18 AM

I assume we'll be getting the exact same headlights, so LEDs and fender mounted turn signals. But will we see the same rear brake lights?
Also, is anyone disappointed that we won't be getting the Renegade 'X' taillights?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:35 AM

Not disappointed at all as I don't really like the Renegade tail lights. The fender mounted signals are those turn-back ones that function as a DRL as well as turn signals though which is cool.

Two different levels though as one of those Wranglers had regular amber lights on the fenders of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 02:26 PM

The biggest thing to come from this news was release of the Hybrid. I would be really disappointed if they didn't have that soon of a release. After all the Pacifica Hybrid is out and using the same (or similar) powertrain/drivetrain we're getting. Just a matter of adjusting those components accordingly to the Wranglers platform.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM

What's the difference between a "mild-hybrid" and a "full-hybrid" ? I thought a hybrid was just a hybrid...?
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 11:09 AM

Mild hybrids can't propel a car, it's there to start the engine and help a bit with acceleration and maybe even provide regenerative braking. Full hybrids have motors that are powerful enough to propel a car by itself. That's the bare basics of it.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 04:47 PM

Oh thanks! Didn't know that was how the differentiation was made. I always used to call it "performance oriented hybrid vs. epa oriented hybrid", but what you said makes a lot more sense.. Doh!

Would be pretty cool to see them introduce it right at the launch though. I'm really hoping we get some info on it soon though based on output and all of that.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 10:59 AM

Your way of differentiating them is more of a mouthful.
I doubt we'll hear much about a hybrid variant when the Wrangler pickup is launched unless it will be sold alongside the gas powered versions on launch. Most of the time, engine and performance specs are released for the model that will be sold first and not future options like hybrid. Assuming fuel economy is the main drive behind it, then we'll most likely see a mild hybrid.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickMeUp View Post
Your way of differentiating them is more of a mouthful.
I doubt we'll hear much about a hybrid variant when the Wrangler pickup is launched unless it will be sold alongside the gas powered versions on launch. Most of the time, engine and performance specs are released for the model that will be sold first and not future options like hybrid. Assuming fuel economy is the main drive behind it, then we'll most likely see a mild hybrid.
Difference here is going hybrid with the Wrangler isn't nearly as important as going hybrid with a mini-van (Pacifica). At the end of the day the current Wrangler community wants what they're used to with subtle changes and they'll get it from launch. Personally I rather see Hybrid become available mid-production cycle.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Either way, the Wrangler community will still get what they want with the other engine options so that's not really much of a worry. The hybrid will just appeal to those that aren't Wrangler purists and attract more people won't it?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page