Jeep Wranglers To The Rescue - 2019+ Jeep Gladiator Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Jeep Wranglers To The Rescue

Jeep Wranglers are known for their off-road capabilities and a sheriff department in Florida sees more than just a weekend warrior, they see the potential for an all-volunteer Jeep Search and Rescue Unit.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office assembled a team of volunteers who are off-road enthusiasts with their own Wranglers, willing to work alongside government agencies during emergencies. Those chosen will be trained to provide vehicular support for emergencies in Pasco County and elsewhere in the state when patrol vehicles are unable to handle the rough terrain.

Not every volunteer will be recruited as each one will, but those who are fully vetted will go through extensive training in everything from CPR, search patterns to crime scene procedures. Mainly used for search and rescue missions, the Jeep unit will also lend a hand in extractions and even flood rescues.

Many of the volunteers are police officers, firefighters, and doctors, who are willing to do their part for the community in their Wranglers. Of course the two-door and four-door Wranglers are ideal for navigating tight off-road trails, but a Wrangler pickup will shine in extraction situations with its large pickup bed. With how popular modding Wranglers are, a volunteer may even lift their Wrangler pickup and install a snorkel for flood rescues.

Currently the team consists of Jeep Wranglers only, but there may be room for Wrangler pickups once they go on sale.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:14 PM

Glad to see this happening with Wranglers because a while back I seen a Hummer H1 community do something similar, clearly there aren't as many H1's around as there are Wranglers. Even a soccer mom that owns a Wrangler can take part in this, just to a slight extent given how intense searching and rescuing can get.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:47 AM

Now this is cool and I love to see things happen like this. Don't need to get paid to help, they'll all be involved because they genuinely want too and it's more unity within the community. I definitely have much respect for the individuals involved in this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:59 AM

You can simply google pickup flood relief and see plenty of pictures where they're used for transportation of people and supplies. Of course there are limits to how much a Wrangler pickup will be able to handle, but it'll fare better than the average pickup with a snorkel and it's inherently robust design.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:35 PM

This is what I like about the Jeep community, willing to lend a hand when possible and that's a lot of opportunities considering how versatile the vehicle is. Though I have heard that rust is a common problem with Jeeps.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Anything in particular that is something we should keep an eye out on? As in, does the rust get severe enough to the point of having to change parts really early?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
This is what I like about the Jeep community, willing to lend a hand when possible and that's a lot of opportunities considering how versatile the vehicle is. Though I have heard that rust is a common problem with Jeeps.
Most people I know after taking delivery of a mint JK have gotten rust proofing done with an electronic rust module. Then that followed up by frequent washing and being mindful of the environment its in. It's all we can do as owners, or deal with the rust, I prefer the former.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:17 AM

It's really down to where you live, but those in the north where salt is used every winter or near the sea due to humidity, then rust proofing is definitely needed, maybe once a year.

But I'm a supporter of the spray on kind more than those electronic rust modules, just don't believe that a weak electric current throughout the metal of the vehicle will be as effective.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:34 AM

I've always been fond of the spray on kind, but those you should typically get either touched up or a layer re-sprayed. That being said, there are a lot of different types of rust-proofing/undercoatings that you could opt for. Which do you guys prefer?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM

Rhino has been the go too for most truck guys I know and Wrangler guys. Line-X is another brand I heard mentioned often with Rhino Lining. Lucky for me I might not have to go that direction, instead i'll throw some large bins in the back and call it a day.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page