Spied: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Looks Production Ready - 2019+ Jeep Gladiator Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Spied: Jeep Wrangler Pickup Looks Production Ready

We’ve seen spy shots of the Wrangler based pickup mule before and the truck bed has always looked a bit off, like something Jeep slapped on along with wheels that didn’t fit perfectly into the wheel wells. Now a new prototype has been spotted and it looks to be production ready with both aforementioned problems missing.

Of the four-door Unlimited variety, the new prototype is sporting wheels that actually fit. They look similar to the 17-inch aluminum wheels offered with the current JK Wrangler Rubicon, so we can assume that the pickup we’re seeing is of the same trim. Another difference we can spot is the shortened front end compared to what we saw last summer along with what could be a smaller bumper, but it’s hard to tell with the front facia fully covered.

What’s interesting is the two different roof camouflage patterns the new prototype has. Maybe it’s hiding the different roof options Jeep could offer with the new Wrangler pickup, or we could be looking into it too much. Let us know what you think.

Codenamed “JT”, the Wrangler JL based pickup’s release date has been pushed back to 2019, perhaps later in the year. But it is coming and they will be produced at the Toldeo, OH plant.

This is exciting news for Jeep enthusiasts because the automaker hasn’t produced a pickup since 1992 with the death of the Comanche. Sure, we saw pickup concepts in 2005 and 2012, but both the gladiator and J-12 never made it to production so Wrangler lovers had to look elsewhere for modification kits.

The JT’s release date may have been delayed, but JL production will start in the fourth quarter of this year and it’ll be sitting on a new chassis with some use of aluminum. Once the 2018 Wrangler has been uncovered, we can use it as an outline for what the pickup variant will look like. Though it probably won’t share the 2.0L, turbocharged four-cylinder, a 3.6L V6, and turbo diesel engines that its bed-less sibling is offered with.

Production Ready Jeep Pickup Prototype Album
post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:57 PM

I do think there will be different roof options and I'm pretty sure the mules aren't displaying two different roof styles for no reason.

Also looking at the hood though, it looks like two front "scoops" as well ?
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 07:26 PM

This is the ultimate teaser, not even a square inch of the body has been exposed but lucky for Jeep if there's anything that will have people refrain from buying anything else right now this will be it. I have no problem picking up an F150 or RAM 1500, but with progress like this it keeps putting off a potential new purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 AM

I don't see a different in hood scoops between the mules. Am I missing something?
As for the roof, I think the ones with a flat cover and less rivets is covering up the removable panel roof.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 09:55 AM

I'll try to find the picture but it could just be something that I don't remember..

For now you could always lease a 1500 or F-series perhaps?
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:17 PM

I doubt that Jeep wants to variate parts where not required or where it won't make much of a difference to them, odds are its the same thing we see from one test mule to another. But with all that camo on it isn't really easy to identify them and point out any differneces.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:04 PM

That's essentially the tough part. There are so many ways they skew parts under the camo to make it look like parts are changing throughout the spy shot process when all in all they could be exactly the same.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 09:36 AM

The truck bed looks oddly short to me when viewed with the unlimited body. I'm guessing Jeep did that to increase its approach and departure angles.
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickMeUp View Post
The truck bed looks oddly short to me when viewed with the unlimited body. I'm guessing Jeep did that to increase its approach and departure angles.
from what I can make of it, this seems to be right in line with all the F150's, RAM 1500's and silverados. At worse its slightly smaller and sits between those and Tacoma's, Canyon's, etc. Even without looking into all the details those are good benchmarks for what we can expect.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 09:35 AM

I think it looks normal sized. Nothing to worry about as it looks pretty standard in terms of length in the mid-sized pickup sector. Maybe you can always get a bed-extender or something of the sort if it's insufficient.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page