2018 Wrangler Pickup Has Big Shoes To Fill - 2019+ Jeep Gladiator Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

2018 Wrangler Pickup Has Big Shoes To Fill

Today, buyers associate the Jeep brand with Wranglers and small off-road vehicles, but that was not always the case. From 1947 to 1992, Jeep sold trucks and while they may not be as well known as the Ford F-150, a few of them were memorable. CheatSheet took a look at five iconic models the new pickup will have to live up to.

Jeep Truck

That’s actually what it was called back then. Simply named the Jeep truck, it was unlike anything else on the market after World War II ended and Willys-Overland rode on the post war hit that was the Jeep. The utilitarian truck remained mostly unchanged from 1947 to 1965 and there probably wasn’t a need to drastically update the model.

Jeep FC-Series

Willys-Overland sold the Jeep brand to Kaiser Motors in 1952 and the brand’s product lineup was updated under the new management. One product of this change was the Forward-Control (FC) truck that was based on the CJ-5 platform. The cab-over truck’s production cycle may have been short lived (1957 to 1966), but it managed to amass a cult following in the Jeep community. To pay homage to the old truck, Jeep showcased the Mighty FC Concept at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah.

Jeep J-Series

Introduced in 1962, the J-series replaced the old Jeep Turk and was known in the Jeep community by a number of names; the Gladiator, J-200, J-2000, Honcho, J-10, J-20, etc. This was before Chrysler purchased the parent company and ended the J-series production in 1988.

Jeep CJ-8 Scrambler

Commonly known as The Scrambler, Jeep’s CJ-8 was one of the more well-known models and it was Ronald Reagan’s off-duty ride of choice. Unfortunately, the Scrambler’s production life was short lived (1981-’86) as Jeep sold less than 30,000 CJ-8s. These days, the scrambler is a much sought after model in the Jeep community because of its rarity and utility. The proof in its popularity lies in the naming of the new Jeep Pickup.

Jeep Comanche

The last pickup truck Jeep made was the Cherokee SUV based Comanche. Appearing on the market in 1985, the Comanche was set up for failure as AMC couldn’t compete with larger companies and was later purchased by Chrysler. Under the new management, Jeep was starting to change into a SUV company and the Comanche was discontinued in 1992.

Jeep’s new 2018 Wrangler Pickup has some big shoes to fill, let us hope the newest addition to the brand’s lineup is just as rugged as its predecessors.
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2016, 10:27 AM

The new pickup may be named after the Scrambler, but I'm hoping to see some elements reminiscent of the original Jeep Truck, especially the extra set of tires on the side.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 09:51 AM

Those tires weren't on the test mule and there's really nowhere to mount them so they won't be making a comeback. what I did notice was the length of the pickup bed, it's similar to that of the old Scrambler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2016, 07:27 PM

If there's anything they should try to do is retro builds that pay homage to some of these originals, even if it means applying one of those color scheme's:

post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 01:34 PM

I'm sure because they're calling it the scrambler, they should have either a special edition or an option to have that retro-esque look/scheme going on. It makes sense to make them relevant still.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-28-2016, 10:16 AM

I can't see them bring back the stripes, it's just hard to make them work IMO. Back then, the Scrambler was more of a box so it's easier to frame that body with wide lines. Maybe we'll see a badge with all three stripes. But the orange Scrambler decal could be transferred over to the new Pickup.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
I can't see them bring back the stripes, it's just hard to make them work IMO. Back then, the Scrambler was more of a box so it's easier to frame that body with wide lines. Maybe we'll see a badge with all three stripes. But the orange Scrambler decal could be transferred over to the new Pickup.
The trick is not bringing it back in the same way, you just use the colors in a different way. With that big of a gap in time from the last scrambler to what we'll soon be getting, it diminishes the ability to straight up copy. They'll page homage to something, the only questions are when, how, and how much.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:32 AM

As retro and as much of a staple as it was... I can't see myself paying for it. Just doesn't appeal to me for the fancy badges and paint schemes. If that's what they do even.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:25 PM

You won't, I might not, but historically people eat this stuff up and it works. If you look at what brands are doing currently you'll see it works. What will help it work is having the right execution.

A good example from FCA is what Dodge has been doing.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:20 AM

With how prevalent single cabs has been throughout Jeep pickup history, you'd think we would have seen a single cab mule by now. Think that's off the table?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page