“I don’t think it’s worth trying to take on Wrangler,” - 2019+ Jeep Gladiator Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

“I don’t think it’s worth trying to take on Wrangler,”

GMC is no fun, they don't want to step in the ring and play, meanwhile I can bet you there are a lot of GM guys that are begging for this, or just know Jeep is what its all about, the odd time they would go Mopar. But on a serious note, would anyone here like to see GM have a go at this segment? Toyota did it and GM seems capable.

Quote:
GMC boss Duncan Aldred effectively swept any chance of a Jeep Wrangler rival from GMC with his most recent comments. Following news that GMC is still intrigued by the possibility of a subcompact crossover SUV, Aldred said a Wrangler rival was off the table at GMC.
“I don’t think it’s worth trying to take on Wrangler,” he told Automotive News. “But I think there’s an opportunity somewhere in that space.”
Rumors have been floated for a couple of years now, which pegged GMC to be working on a body-on-frame SUV. Some believed this would be the Jeep Wrangler rival many have been hoping for. It remains unclear if plans for some sort of new body-on-frame SUV are still on the table at all, however. It’s also been rumored that GMC may take on the Jeep Grand Cherokee, and there’s a vacant spot atop the brand’s lineup now that the 2017 GMC Acadia is a mid-size crossover.
With the Blazer name all but confirmed to be revived for a Chevrolet mid-size crossover—based on the Acadia’s C1 platform—General Motors may sit out the rugged SUV space for the foreseeable future.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 11:16 AM

In order to take on the Wrangler, GMC will need to throw a lot of money into research and development, also they'll be hard pressed to recoup that money if they want to price it competitively with the Wrangler as well. Jeep has been honing this one model for so many years compared to other companies.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2017, 03:03 PM

I could care less for it to happen because GM has gone decades without creating a product like this so what's to say they can come around and do some damage to the throne? The answer is they can't. GM has to pick their battles and this just isn't one of them, sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:46 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing more competition pop up targeting Jeep, that'll just push them to improve the Wrangler and subsequent spin-offs at a faster rate. Competition drives innovation and I'm all for it. But that won't happen for a long while, at least not until the new Wrangler JL is out and the other manufacturers can see what they're up against.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing more competition pop up targeting Jeep, that'll just push them to improve the Wrangler and subsequent spin-offs at a faster rate. Competition drives innovation and I'm all for it. But that won't happen for a long while, at least not until the new Wrangler JL is out and the other manufacturers can see what they're up against.
I think it took success of the JK for Jeep and aftermarket companies to see value in pushing the envelope with a next generation model. Now that its here we should see some interesting stuff happen. Kahn design already started some cool things with the JK, but it was subtle. Maybe they will turn it up quite a bit this time around.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-01-2017, 02:17 AM

Think other manufacturers will have a similar thought when the Scrambler come out? Aside from the Raptor, a lot of other pickups aren't really off-road friendly as far as I know.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
Think other manufacturers will have a similar thought when the Scrambler come out? Aside from the Raptor, a lot of other pickups aren't really off-road friendly as far as I know.
Yeah... in that case the JK8's and Brutes showed what consumers want hence why Jeep is making it an official model that has some real performance so with that should come support for it. Doubt Jeep will limit production so we should see JK level of mods come out, just as they would for the JL.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2017, 12:06 AM

I seen what Japanese tuning brands have been up to and they might also have a go at this, global market should be easy to tap into so that being the case this could very well be a Wrangler/Scrambler generation for the books!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-15-2017, 02:38 AM

Moab will be the event to keep your eyes on with mods and accessories and maybe even SEMA. Those shows generally have a lot of mod enthusiasts in attendance.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 PM

Well, GM will need a huge research about this segment of the market indeed. I don't think that they're going to come up with a rival to Wrangler in the nearest future. For now, they think: "it’s worth trying to take on Wrangler”, however, the market is constantly changing and maybe in a few years it will be really profitable to launch their rival.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page