"about the size of a Ford Ranger in length, but a little wider" - AllPar - 2019+ Jeep Gladiator Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

"about the size of a Ford Ranger in length, but a little wider" - AllPar

Since everyone has been getting all excited after seeing spy shots of the JT and most recently the regular JL, I figured bringing up points related to its size and proportions would play in well to that. Pulling from Allpars article on the JT Scrambler, here are some key points for discussion. My goal here is to complement and expand on the points Allpar put together:

Quote:
strictly a two door version with some extra space behind the front seats
Quote:
I could see the pickup in two versions....a standard pickup with light duty set of semi-floating front hubs and a “heavy duty” option
Quote:
There would need to be a change in frame width. To mount a different bed, regardless of type, you need to have the rear frame rails spaced at 34” across the top flange. This will require a pair of adapter rails that bolt to the top of the existing frame rails similar to the older Dodge D and W chassis-and-cab trucks. It is more involved than just pulling off the box or just not installing a box in the rear, because of using the full body’s frame assembly under all of them (this also means a change to the J8 export military truck to this new design).

In other words, your pickup will be about the size of a Ford Ranger in length, but a little wider — with the passenger room of today’s two-door Wrangler, and narrower mirrors and fender flares, and built with a separate bed. The bed would probably not be unitized to the main body for structural reasons.
credit: 2018 Jeep Wrangler, Part 4: The Scrambler (pickup) and J8
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM

It's said to be riding on the extended Wrangler Unlimited platform and slotting below the Ram 1500. So I assume it'll be around the same size as the Ram1500, at least in terms of truck bed size.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2017, 02:48 AM

I don't think width really matters as much as length when it comes to pickups, especially if it's an increase in width rather than a decrease, making it more appealing to buyers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepster View Post
I don't think width really matters as much as length when it comes to pickups, especially if it's an increase in width rather than a decrease, making it more appealing to buyers.
The only real requirements is that it sits within range of the trucks that define that segment and so far we have been seeing that from JT Scrambler test mules, hard to tell from pictures but it sure seems sized well to sit next to the F150, RAM 1500, etc.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:45 PM

Would you prefer it if the Wrangler pickup's length is longer or shorter than the Ram 1500?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2017, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickMeUp View Post
Would you prefer it if the Wrangler pickup's length is longer or shorter than the Ram 1500?
As close to the RAM 1500 will be good for both us and them since its a no brainer, they spend millions over all these decades selling the 1500 and it sell well, no complaints. No point in them deviating from that.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2017, 03:34 PM

haven't posted here in a while

I agree with offroader on the point that ram-like bed dimensions are the way to go
if every truck maker has been doing that with success then why not?

only thing of course would be the lack of ram boxes.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Feeding into talk about RAM-like bed length, this is a very important point to include here:

Quote:
the frame is about 205 inches long, making it a full 33 inches longer than the current JK Jeep Wrangler four-door frame. That's good for stability and payload, but bad for off-roading. There's also no indication of a two-door option.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader View Post
Feeding into talk about RAM-like bed length, this is a very important point to include here:
a lot of sources were saying 4-door only truck
that number you gave sure does correlate with that

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page